Even cakes come wrapped with a bow or not


People say age is nothing but a number but I must say the closer you get to the wrong side of thirty, the more you believe that the adage is true. I was going to turn 37, in a few days. Three years closer to the BIG 40 and seven years away from thirty. I must say I didn’t feel terrible about it. In fact, I welcomed my birthday with such childlike excitement that it was almost unnerving. I even planned events for the eve of my birthday. I dragged my mum and kids to a day at the zoo and enjoyed a birthday dinner at a local restaurant.

My birthday quickly arrived and I received the most hilarious cards, some flowers but no cake. It is a sad but true fact that you don’t get a cake if you bake cakes as a hobby. So I had to bake a cake for my birthday. Since, a cake is some sort of present I decided to make a bow cake for my birthday.

I painstakingly cut out 6 inch fondant strips, joined the edges together using water (fondant glue can be used as an alternative), cut the ends into a vSince I was making the cake for my birthday, I couldn’t use the beautiful bow loops I made as they would break. So I came up with an alternative but simple idea for my birthday cake. I decided to cut out circles of differing sizes and add them to the cake with a simple pearl border. 

While the end result looked really nice, I think it would have been nicer with a bow on top. So I have learned a few important facts about fondant: envision the cake you would like to make, plan ahead and execute your order.  

How to Make a Loop Bow:
Cut long strips of fondant about 6 inches long and an inch wide.
Join the two ends together with some water or fondant glue.
Cut the end into a V.
Leave bows to dry for at least a week before assembling.


Comments

Popular Posts