Paris themed Cake or Not?

A close personal friend asked that I make a 10th birthday cake for her daughter. Since I use every excuse to bake, I decided to make a french themed cake because her daughter attends a french immersion school. As usual my imagination soon got away from me, I imagined the eiffel tower standing majestically on my cake; a French poodle gracefully tossing its head in indignation over an imagined human slight and of course a man smoking a pipe wearing a beret. Not sure where the last bit came from but who says an imagination has to be rational.

Being super excited I did a quick a google search for templates and I found my eiffel tower, poodle, beret and pipe. I even found an "OOH LA LA" template. To make the fondant figures, I got some pink fondant,  added some tylose powder, rolled it out to an 8 millimeter thickness and let the fondant dry for an hour. I cut out my templates and placed my cut-outs on the fondant. Using an xacto knife I cut out the fondant figures. I got my cake out of the fridge and placed my eiffel tower, french poodle and beret on the cake. I must say it looked awful. I now realize is that a cake must have symmetry and one cannot simply slap different figures on a cake.

I ended taking off all the fondant figures, and added circles of differing shapes to the cake. I think it looked elegant at the end.










Comments

Popular Posts