It's a Royal Birthday - Let them eat cake

In the famous words of Marie-Antoniette - Let them eat cake...

A good friend requested a royal themed birthday cake for her daughter turning 5. Specifically, she wanted a 3-tier cake, with a gold accents and gold beading as a trim.  To crown it all, forgive the pun, she wanted a gold tiara as well. I have never made a 3-tier cake neither have I painted edible gold on a cake. But with my can-do-attitude, I believed I could do it.

I pulled up my trusted free teacher, YouTube, and searched for a few videos on how to make a tiara. All the videos on YouTube seemed to use an extruder to make the tiara, so I got one as well. I must say that it didn't work for me. The tiaras kept breaking. Instead, I used a template to cut-out the tiara; an extruder to create the border; and a wilton mold to create the baroque effect. Finally, I painted the tiara with gold pharaoh luster dust and applied some pearl dust to give it a shine.

The first tier of the cake was made using a circle cookie cutter and a ball tool to thin out the edges. The second tier was made using straws under fondant to create a drape effect and the third tier was made using a diamond impression mat. The gold trim was made and painted prior to applying it to the cake.

Stacking the cake was a bit nerve racking. Although I have stacked a 2-tier cake using straws, I was concerned that the weight of the cake would not hold up with just straws. Perhaps it is the accountant in me, ever cautious and risk adverse, so i decided to use wooden dowels to stack the cake.

I think it turned out great and it held up really well.














Comments

Popular Posts